Sabbath Mood Homeschool Presents
Living Science Study Guides
A Charlotte Mason Resource for Exploring Science, a Vast and Joyous Realm
In this elementary school astronomy study guide, students will be introduced to the universe and its stars, including the concept of star constellations. They will also become familiar with the observable patterns of motion of the sun, moon, and stars, and the brightness of the sun compared to other stars. You will find the following items included:
- Reading assignments
- Activities based on the reading
- Narration and discussion prompts
- Object Lesson and Nature Lore prompts
- Suggested leisure reading options
- Recommended supplemental books, videos, and articles
- Exam questions
This study guide accompanies the living book Find the Constellations by H.A. Rey (HMH Books for Young Readers, 2016 or before).
This book is available on Amazon, but for more extensive used copy search, try used.addall.com.
- 72 pages
- Reading Level: 4-7 grade
- Prerequisites: none
Necessary Titles to Complement This Course
- Handbook of Nature Study by Anna Botsford Comstock
This study guide includes 33 morning lessons, three per week, each requiring approximately 20-30 minutes. Each week will include the following science lessons:
- Weekly Lesson 1: Nature Lore
- Weekly Lesson 2: Natural History Science Reading and sometimes an activity
- Weekly Lesson 3: Special Studies Reading or Natural History Activity
Other necessary science and nature study should be done during afternoons or evenings, and may include the following:
- Daily work outside exploring and investigating, making notes or drawings of their observations. Due to the subject matter of this study guide, some of this daily work will need to be done after sunset.
- Additional reading on this science topic and nature topics according to individual desire and interest.